Thursday, August 9, 2007

Is Hip Hop Dead?

Is Hip Hop Dead?


I'll look at it as a musical genre. It seems, to me, that while genre of "hip hop" will never die, true lyricism will slowly fade away. Not in the sense that in a few years, you can't find a good cipher anywhere, but what little radioplay the so-called "conscious rappers" get now will disappear. I believe that rap (notice the difference?) is dying because it became cool to be someone else. The true essence of hip-hop is to be different; to find your own way from point A to point B that's different from the next MC. One of my boys, who's into real hip-hop, said the "Dirty South Movement" is killing hip-hop. I disagree--they're just confirming what I just mentioned. They said, "Bump NY, we're going do our own thing...and you're going to love us for it." So Lil Jon (What!!), the Snap Music, Jeezy, etc., are just sticking to the core definition of "hip-hop." Now, New Yorkers and the rest of the east coast are looking for the next superstar to take the crown after Jay (see: Papoose). They're almost in the position the South was about 6-7 years ago--begging A&R's for a chance. Record labels realize that hot beats and a catchy hook, not true school lyrics, are what's going to bring them the 85% of an artist's profits. Also, hip-hop became infatuated with the material things associated with the not-so-gradual assimilation with the mainstream. Universal Records, MTV, and even BET and the like, came with the big bucks; and impoverished inner city youths gladly jumped at it. As you said, corporate America realized that this rebellious form of music could be bought and sold, and now the things most rappers glorify now (the crack-selling, the women, the cars) are what gets DJ spins.
But I say that to say this, I don't really fault anyone for trying to better themselves. What I do have a problem with is not staying true to self while one does seek betterment. So I kind of hope the underground stays underground and "conscious rappers" stay with a semi-cult following...just so I can have something to listen to in my CD player.

No comments: