Thursday, August 9, 2007

A Letter To Hibachi

Dear Gilbert, Agent Zero, Hibachi, or whatever alias you decide to go by,Let me start by saying that you're firmly planted as my #4 favorite player in the NBA, behind only AI, Tim Duncan, and Dwyane Wade; and just ahead of Joe Johnson. With that said, I have a bone to pick with you. Ever since you came to the Wizard via the coin flip, you've been a fan favorite and a proven scorer. And yes, I agree with you when you believe that you get no respect for your incredible talent level. You are easily a top 3 offensive player, and you can get into a passing lane or two on D. While skeptics have a good point when they say your fourth quarter buzzer-beaters come with the game tied and you have the cushion of overtime to fall back on in case of a miss, you're one of the more clutch players in the league. And then there's your quirkiness that can only be described as its own study--"Gilbertology." It is in this that I'm torn. While it's great that you have all these nicknames and you say you're gonna drop 50 on all those involved with Team USA, and you'd give Duke 85 if you could play college ball again. I even laughed at you jumping off the trampoline with the Elvis Impersonators during the All-Star game. But here's the problem: I believe you're slowly becoming a sideshow, a comedy act if you will. Sometimes you remind me of the old face-painted black entertainers that performed under the blatant racism (see: the movie "Bamboozled"). You seem to want to tap dance and say, "Look what I can do, boss...Look at me" in order to gain attention. For this I say, no, plead with you--don't. I know that's your personality and I'm not saying don't be you. I'd never tell anyone to do that. But what I am saying is that I believe that the best way to become noticed and recognized as an elite player is to perform at an elite level and most of all, WIN. Yes, you play in Washington and no one has cared about the Phone Booth since the shadow of "His Airness" was cast over 7th and G Street. But as the best player on the team, as Eddie Jordan I'm sure has told you, you have to lead this team. Saying that the team focused too much on defense to excuse your horrid performance against the Blazers in which you fell just short of your 50-point promise and had 9 on 3-15 shooting is in all due respect weak-minded. Whether or not you're a great defensive team should have no bearing on the pride you should take in stopping the opposition. Putting buckets up on another is gratifying, but doing that and clamping down on his offensive effort is demoralizing to him. That's what made Jordan The Greatest. He'd give you 40 and hold the best player to his toughest offensive game. I'm not saying you need to be first team All-Defense (though it would go a long way to the Wizards' success) but leaders don't make excuses. Own up to your words like you did when Lebron talked you out of those two free throws in the playoffs. So Gilbert, I'm asking you to become a winner, with or without the antics. That way, DC won't be satisfied with making the 2nd round and wear "Round 2" T-shirts and hats like they won the chip. I know you'll make me proud



Always,
Johnathan Tillman

No comments: